A number of support mechanisms have been put in place to mitigate the impact of Covid-19 on business and SMEs. Please note, this list is not exhaustive and relates to support available primarily for Glasgow-based businesses.
Coronavirus Business Support Fund
The Scottish Government Coronavirus Business Support Fund is being administered by local authorities. If you are based outside Glasgow please check with your local authority.
The ratepayers of businesses located in a non-domestic property that is:
- in receipt of the Small Business Bonus Scheme (SBBS);
- in receipt of Rural Relief; or
- eligible for SBBS but in receipt of Nursery Relief or Disabled Relief.
can apply to access a support fund and receive a one-off small business support grant of £10,000. This is only available if they were the ratepayer for a premises occupied for that business use on 17 March 2020.
A separate one-off grant of £25,000 is available to the ratepayers of businesses in the retail, hospitality, and leisure sectors operating in a premises with a rateable value of £18,001 or up to £50,999. This is the rateable value as at 17 March 2020 regardless of any subsequent reduction in rateable value due to an appeal. This is only available if they were the ratepayer for a premises occupied for that business use on 17 March 2020.
Eligible ratepayers can apply for a one-off grant payment as detailed below up to 31 March 2021. Only one grant is allowed per ratepayer regardless of the number of premises held.
These grants are aimed at helping keep companies in business and keep productive capacity so that they can recover. Their intention is to:
- protect jobs.
- prevent business closure.
- promote economic recovery.
Glasgow City Council will review your application and assess if you are eligible for the grant. The Council will aim to make payment within 10 working days from receipt of a fully completed application.
The deadline for applications to the Business Support Fund is 31 March 2021.
Further advice for businesses
- Coronavirus support for the self employed
- Free, one-to-one business coaching from ConnectThree
- Download the summary of support measures available to Scottish businesses. (PDF 410KB)
The Scottish Government has announced a number of measures to limit the impact of COVID-19 for financial year 2020/21, including financial support, business continuity and protecting your workforce.
A number of national and regional business support organisations have published resources and links to specific to Covid-19 business support:
- UK Government guidance to employers and businesses about Covid-19
- Scottish Government Coronavirus advice for businesses in Scotland
- Business Gateway National
- Find your local Business Gateway office
- Federation of Small Businesses: COVID-19: Advice and guidance for small businesses and the self-employed
- Scottish Chambers of Commerce: Business Advice & Guidance: Covid-19
- The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS): Advice for employers and employees
If you are a Glasgow-based business and require advice or support for your business at this time, contact the business support team at Glasgow City Council providing your business name, address, postcode and a contact name and number. There is a high volume of enquiries but an adviser will be in touch as soon as they can.