Engineering and manufacturing stand as the cornerstone to many sectors in Glasgow’s economy. Engineering touches both traditional and future-oriented sectors, ranging from construction and manufacturing to energy, aerospace, defence, marine life, life sciences and ICT.
There is a significant business base in Glasgow ranging from global companies to local companies that are making no less an impact.
Aerospace, Defence and Marine
- BAE Systems, specialists in design and manufacture of warships.
- Lockheed Martin, global security and aerospace company.
Advanced Manufacturing and Energy
- Weir Group Plc, a global engineering firm focused on minerals, oil and gas and power markets.
- Doosan Power Systems, a green energy technology company, offering boilers, turbines, nuclear and wind power solutions.
- Jacobs Engineering, a professional services provider operating across engineering sectors.
Global and banking and investment giants JP Morgan and Morgan Stanley have software engineering divisions in Glasgow. The JP Morgan European Technology Centre designs and develops complex financial software and technology systems.
Quantum and photonics
- M2 lasers, photonics technology company specialising in advances laser platforms and novel photonics systems.
- Thales Optronics, a global designer and manufacturer of electro-optical equipment and systems, mostly for air, sea and land defence systems.
- Clyde Space, a leading worldwide provider of CubeSat and small satellite spacecraft.
- Spire Global, specialises in data gathered from a network of small satellites.