Infrastructure & support
A sophisticated infrastructure exists in Glasgow for undertaking the kinds of complex and multifaceted research and development required within the life sciences to produce commercial solutions. With property costs up to 75% lower than London and 11% lower than Cambridge (FDI Benchmark), Glasgow City is a cost-effective choice with ideal options for high-tech R&D efforts.
The support infrastructure specific to life sciences research and development is a mixture of initiatives, property opportunities/science parks/development and enterprise areas and financial incentives.
- West of Scotland Science Park, 3 miles from Glasgow city centre, is a hub for technology companies on two campuses. Companies engaged in biotech, optoelectronics and software development are the primary tenants on the campuses. Because the park is located in a designated development area, those locating in the park are eligible for a number of government financial incentives. Already located in the park are Alba Ultrasound, Bio Reliance Biotech Ltd, BioOutsource and Glasgow Memory Clinic.
- BioCity Scotland is the eastern boundary of the Glasgow BioCorridor. 13 companies have set up in the centre and have access to business advice and support as well as the laboratory and equipment available at the BioCity. The BioCity endeavour is marked by partnerships with universities in order to enable high-growth, innovative development by bio-entrepreneurs. Already located at BioCity are Insignia Technologies, Enocell, Pharmacells and Cytobiosis Research Ltd. BioCity Scotland also hosts the European Lead Factory, a novel platform for innovative drug discovery.
- Hillington Park Innovation Centre in Hillington Business Park offers onsite advisory and modern facilities.
- Scottish Enterprise Technology Park in East Kilbride offers both startups and larger businesses an environment for innovation and development.
- Irvine Innovation and Industry (i3) in North Ayrshire is the largest designated enterprise area in Scotland with 132 ha of allocated land. i3 offers life science businesses either enhanced capital allowances or business rates relief.