Resources: People & skills
Glasgow is home to a large workforce dedicated to serving the needs of the tourism and events sector.
- Glasgow has nearly 30,000 people employed in tourism and related retail industries (Scottish Annual Business Statistics, 2016).
- Nearly 1,000 students undertaking hospitality, leisure, tourism and transport courses at universities with over 300 graduating each year (HESA).
- Nearly 6,000 students are enrolled to achieve a qualification in hospitality and related courses at further education college (Scottish Funding Council).
- Training programmes to support the growing need for hospitality and service-industry professionals including Glasgow Welcomes
- Languages spoken at a fluent level in Glasgow and the surrounding area are numerous, which are key skills for the tourism and events sector – French is spoken by 13,000 people, German by 12,000, Italian by 5,000 and Spanish by 4,000. At a competent level, the figures rise and include Dutch, Swedish, Russian, Greek and Portuguese, contributing heavily to Glasgow’s suitability as one of the major conference and events centres in Europe.